The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Sunday, January 20, 2008

West King Street Virgin

From April,1973 until August 1975 I lived at Wabank Apartments. When that "gig" ended I moved back home to my parents house on Ruby Street. Sil was one of my roomies at the apartment but he had an "Epiphany" and discovered the essence of life and eventually moved into the 328 Club.
I was not as fortunate, in fact,maybe Sil and Tee can verify this. I do not recall ever even visiting the initial West King Street abode. Any how after being out on my own,living with my folks seemed a little restraining.
I can remember Tee persistently calling me saying they had a vacant room. Why I waited the whole month of September to make up my mind was either due to my reluctance or maybe October 1st worked better instead of pro-rating rent.
When I made my decision to lose my W.King Street virginity I was amazed that neither Sil,Tee or Jim Shay took the second floor front bedroom overlooking King Street. It was a location I held both in the Second Coming of 340 in 1981 and at the 338 Club.
I don't remember who helped me move but I do remember that Tee,Jim and myself went down the street a block to Soldern's Tavern the very first day. It was a great place, women were not allowed to sit at the bar and two hard-boiled eggs were only 25 cents. We drank a few pitchers of beer. We sat at a table, I guess because we knew we weren't going to meet any women sitting at the bar.
I was working at Royster Chemical Farm products at the time, a normal 8-4:30 day shift most of the time until February when the farmers needed their fertilizers and it became a mandatory 12 hour day until April. The Wheatland Inn was my favorite beer garden during these days so a 8:00 AM starting time for work allowed me to indulge to the wee hours.
Most everything else of my early times at 340 are rather "blurry". Work,the Wheatland Inn,sleep and then do it again the next day. Perhaps my memory will be jogged with some additional posts by Tee and Sil.

3 comments:

Tee said...

One of my distinct memories of your first months (10/75-whenever Pop bought the South) was your respect for 8 am at Royster's and, I suppose, my lack of respect for 8 am in the classroom. Almost every night - without fail - I would come in at a ridiculous hour and say "g'nite kooky" to you (as the only negative about your bedroom was that it was directly under mine)as I was about to ascend the stairway to heaven. It was a very rare weeknight - almost never happened - when I said goodnight to an empty room. Now, once the South opened that dynamic changed but you were kind enuff not to yell "g'nite Tee" up the stairs.

Tee said...

Regarding: I was amazed that neither Sil,Tee or Jim Shay took the second floor front bedroom overlooking King Street.

You were two thirds right ... I share your amazement regarding Sil * Jimmy. Perhaps they felt the West King Street noise would make sleep difficult. As you found out, it was more of a lullably than annoying. I suppose, though, it is not for everyone. As for me, the penthouse had all the features of 2nd floor front plus additional privacy and The Annex. Methinks the two of us got the prizes and it sounds like we both felt we had the prize. That's a good thing. Further, Sil & Jimmy were likely happier also in their rooms. After all they were closer to the shitter and the kitchen.

Phil said...

Of course some of those nights I was in bed by 2:08 AM when Ted got home at 2:14 creating an illusion of respect for work.:)
I remember Ted sleeping on the floor by the phone, which was located on the 2nd floor hallway down from my room so not to miss a call from the School District.

Blog Archive