The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Stick Tripping

After having lived at 340 now for a couple of months I was introduced to the art of "Stick Tripping". Tee can explain it fully but I want to give my perspective of it. Living underneath Ted's bedroom I kept hearing an incessant "whack","whack", "whack" at various times.

I asked Ted what is that noise. He said,"I was stick tripping". In simplistic terms, Ted would take a stick or some other object and beat it into his palm. The whole time he would be fantasizing,usually about sports or music. He could conjure up an entire career as a player or coach in ANY sport with complete statistics.
He has been the Heavyweight boxing champ,coached Notre Dame or some other college,had an illustrious career in Street Hockey,usually as a Goalie,I believe, not to mention Hall of Fame type numbers for Baseball,Football and Basketball players.. Musically,I can never remember the last name but he was the lead singer for Theotis Christ and the Christians.

Unfortunately he could never "stick trip" about sexual fantasies. I can recall times when Ted would find a new stick or other object and gleefully exclaim,"This will be great for Stick Tripping". He no doubt wore a few out or they broke due to the excessive pounding. Callouses on his palms were the norm. There are times when I miss that methodical "whack,whack,whack".

4 comments:

Tee said...

Gosh, Phil ... I realize I'm doing a lot of confessing here but damn ... lemmee give away my own secrets ... stick tripping ... ever since I was 5 or 6 I can remember doing it ... and still do ... it really is nothing more than daydreaming ... Walter Mitty has nothing on me ... you are correct, for some reason, I could not stick trip about sex ... almost anything else was fair game ... including politics where I became not just Mayor, Governor, Senator, President but U.N. Chief with teeth ...and beyond ... why just last night I coached Catholic High to a district title ... you see all stick trips did not end up with the title ... after all I have all the time I need to achieve trhat ... a popular stick trip that I have had - no exaggeration - scores of times in the past year is taking over Pequea Valley football next fall, reaching the State title in '13 before coming to do the same thing at Catholic, them McCaskey ... now Phil, if the white jacketed people catch me and take me in ... I'm blaming you ... whack, whack, whack

Phil said...

Just following a chronological order of my "Day in the Life". If you had a silencer on that "stick", or I guess in your palm,I wouldn't have known anything.:)

Sil said...

In 1982, the american Society of Clinical Psychologists classified Stick Tripping as a "Certifiable Mental Illness". So far, treatments have proven futile.

Tee said...

Now we are Bloggging!

Blog Archive