The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2

As I mentioned previously, Phil moved in October and at some point in time began to keep a list of both women that I pined after or had crushes on and (I know, I know, it is both sexist and immature) later a list of women that I knew intimately. Assuming Phil began such a habit when he moved in the intimate list would have had only one entry. Well, it doubled in December. Sadly I do not recall her name. I had ended 1974 at zero and ended 1975 at two. Number three would prove to be a doozy.

As an aside, Phil & I did not know each other very well when he moved in to the 340. AS Phil himself tells it: “I have only vague recollections of young Ted prior to 340.” However, I knew him more than he knew me … this was due to a couple of reasons: 1) he was one of the big shots being a member of the class of ’68; he was of the class that initiated me (a ‘69er) at Lancaster Catholic High (Dwight Fetterhof, his cousin I believe, actually doing the honors) as such I looked up to both him and Sil (also ’68) as heroes of sorts. In my memory, their reputations as sports buffs preceded them and I was thrilled to meet the pair of them at a party (circa 1970) at Tim Bucher’s house, and; 2) he made the best cheese steaks for the right price at Zangari’s on Lemon Street. For some reason he – despite his vague recollections of me - gave me free cheese steaks.

After meeting Phil & Sil at Buchers my next memory of the pair of them was their competing in a draft APBA baseball league at Millersville State College in the spring of 1973. While I don’t remember anything about the draft; I do have my scorebook of games my team played. Phil, at least in my memory, was a part time student, drove a VW beetle, and hung at the SMAC (Student Union) which is where many of the APBA games were played. Later that summer Sil, Phil & I attended the initial APBA Conference together. After that Phil & Sil both appeared, perhaps not regularly, at game nights coinciding with Monday Night Football in ’73 and very early in ’74 season. By winter 1975, we were fast friends with Sil having been my roomy for over a year and Phil keeping a list of my dalliances like he knew me forever. 1976 loomed.

2 comments:

Phil said...

My earliest recollection of Ted was at a Catholic High Basketball game in the early 70's which I attended with Sil. Tee came up to us and greeted me by name. When he left, I asked Sil who he was and how did he know my name. Sil just said, "He knows you".
In the APBA Baseball league ,Ted referred too, I remember between classes at the student center (SMACK) Tee swept me in either 4 or 5 games in a record time of about 20 minutes or so.

Tee said...

Of course I knew you but now you know that you & Sil were like my heroes

Blog Archive