The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Roster Moves

Just yesterday I exchanged e-mails with Sil endeavoring to fill in the blanks in my memory.

I wrote: Sil - I'm trying to get the order of things straight. As 1978 began (after Dave Petkosh bailed), you, me, Phil and City L were the 340 Club, and then in March or April Mitch Herr moved in between you and Phil. You were gone not long after that and then Kenny joined. That is correct? right? You did live with Mitch for a quick minute but never with Kenny? do you remember why you left? Thanks, Tee


To which, he replied: Tee - My memories are non-existent. I don't even remember Petkosh living there. I can only surmise that I left for quieter pastures. Sil

I suppose too many bananas or salads can be just as detrimental to one’s memory as too many beers. Moderation in all things. Accordingly, I shall go with my best recollection:

After Dave Petkosh left, the 340 Club was once again back to a tight four man crew through the winter. After my birthday with the Club becoming ever more associated with the Bonnie Parker Band and their zany fans and roadies I invited Mitch Herr, the group’s chief gopher and do it all roadie (and also the bartender at one of the two remaining strip joints in the city), to move in to 340 West King Street.

Now, no offense intended, but Mitch didn’t use the same deodorant as the rest of us (if ya know what I mean) and, perhaps, just maybe, that might have had something to do with Sil’s loosing memory and maybe more than a little to do with his moving out. For after 44 months of being my roomie during the entire existence of the 328/340 Club, Sil had moved on. In addition, Mitch upped the insanity quotient just a tad. Before him it was three relatively normal guys – Sil, Phil, and City L – and one madman conveniently isolated up on the 3rd floor. Now, with Crazee Mitch the IQ (Insanity Quotient) was perhaps at a volatile level. It would get crazier before it would get better.

When Sil left in May; I (Phil may deserve some of the credit for Mitch & Kenny also but I feel that their entry as residents, as opposed to regulars, was more my doing) invited Kenny Giltner to replace him. If there was a question about the IQ before this; no normal person or certified shrink could miss the situation now. Abnormality was now the majority. Poor Phil (who rode well with the punches) and City L (who had it a little rougher, IMHO) were definitely outnumbered by the Crazies. Further, unlike me who somehow punched a 9 to 5 clock everyday (or most days) at City Hall, neither Kenny nor Mitch were bound to any responsible schedule so I was sort of the fulcrum rather than part of the full tilt crazies.

So it was as the 340 Club lurched into the summer of 1978; expectations of making the next morning were slim; there was absolutely no fucking chance of celebrating the New Year in these quarters.

Quieter pastures indeed; pass the joint; bring me another beer!

No comments:

Blog Archive