The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

April 25, 1977

It was a Monday and Chris got off work at 9 at the Ganser Library in Millersville. He likely got to Cassidy’s at about 9:30. Obviously I have no memory of who was there (Phil? Woody? Dicky?); I dunno. I also don’t remember if he stopped and got me at 340 or was I already there at Cassidy's. Let’s assume he picked me up. Now, from 9:30 to 1:00 am I would estimate to have drunk about 14 beers. According to my consultant at my DUI trial in 1989 (Not guilty, of course) I would have left Cassidy’s at 0.19% Blood Alcohol Content. Chris, assuming he drank as much, would have been a little higher based on his lesser body weight. I paid $500 for the consultant so I assume his numbers and my math are at least a good estimate. In any case I don’t recall Chris being drunk but he certainly was “legally intoxicated.”

As we headed home from Cassidy’s; an 8 block trip I got hungry for a Rendezvous cheese steak as I often did. I encouraged Chris to go down a one way alley to get to the Vous quicker. It turned to be a mistake. When we came to the intersection in the middle of the block (i.e. by the Rendezvous parking lot) we were struck by a car driven by Thomas Thomas. I believe he had a stop sign but, even if so, he stopped and looked for appropriate traffic. Unfortunately, headed in the wrong direction, we were not appropriate and not expected and Thomas Thomas plowed right into the passenger side of Chris’ car totaling it. Thanks be to God (with an assist to Captain Frederick Pabst); I escaped without a scratch. I did have some pain in my right shoulder area the next morning as I suppose I shoulda had another Blue Ribbon or two when I got home that evening.

The police came and took the necessary information however they did not take Chris downtown for a breathalyzer. The car stayed in the Vous lot until the wrecker came the next day. After removing an old beat up basketball from the vehicle, Chris & I walked home the remaining couple of blocks to 340. Chris dribbling the ball sometimes hitting me with a pass to get us home quicker. Once reaching the 340, without any announcement, Chris moved to the white line in the middle of the street and simply let go of the basketball (we be blogging’ now) and watched it roll. It cleared Mulberry without causing another accident – 2:00 am traffic – and ended up in the trough of West King Street in front of Johnny’s Tavern or thereabouts. Never to be seen again.

The next day I reported to work at 8:30 as usual and, as my name was not in the small article that appeared in the paper (soon to appear in a Curator’s Corner); I underwent no grilling in the office. I have no further knowledge of Thomas Thomas, other than his claim to be born again, but his name was in the paper. Not sure if anyone questioned why a man of his claim was out and about in the wee hours. However, Chris did get questioned. As he reported to class the next day one of his teachers who read the small article that identified Chris as having caused a two vehicle accident at 1:00 a.m. was dumbfounded and wanted to know what on earth Chris was doing out at such an hour.

Tonight’s Poet Laureate post will reprise the poem Chris wrote about the event entitled April 26th.

No comments:

Blog Archive