The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Summertime '75


Lakewood Park postcard, circa late 40s or 50s

Summer was upon us and I want to commemorate two events, both rituals in their own way, that occurred early in that summer of ‘75 – the Bavarian Beer Festival and a couple of Rolling Stone concerts and then, hopefully, Sil will jump in and recount how he, when darkness was about to fall on West King Street, discovered another place for us to rest our heads.

If one drives 73 miles from Lancaster up I-81 and gets off at the Mahanoy City exit and makes a right in Barnesville and continues on through East Mahanoy Junction one comes upon Lakewood Park. It was here that one of the great cultural events of the Pennsylvania tourist season took place - the Bavarian Beer Festival. A true fortnight of camping and carousing. There were three (or more) large festival Halls in which polka and oom pah pah bands played continuously all day long, rows of carnival action - from games of chance, exciting rides (inc. a great wooden coaster and a "wet, mildewy tunnel of love"), side shows, product demonstrations, typical boardwalk fare, purveyors of food - there were acres of camp and recreational space with shower and toilet facilities. It was like a civilized TACO. For a $10 admission one could enter a land of merriment and not leave for days. At least that is my memory. I’m sure truth is you paid an admission every day plus campground fees. Alas, the beer wasn't cheap either and you had to purchase plastic pitchers which, if I recall, you could keep.

The drinking took place is those great big halls which could literally hold thousands (probably 3000) of people. They sold food (bratwurst, sausage, hot dogs, sauerkraut, funnel cakes, ice cream waffles) and beer (expensive, medium, cheap - the expensive and medium had German names; the cheap was a domestic) by the pitcher. They chanted German slogans like "Ein prost (which appeared to be deutsch for 340)" and drank and then a keg would get tapped and you would drink and the band would play and you would drink.

Here is a picture of one of the regular bands:



"Hank Haller numbers among his musical career highlights his annual performances for 15 years at the Bavarian Festival in Barnesville, Pennsylvania (near Allentown). He said the first time he saw the festival, it was the biggest festival he had ever seen. He quickly became accustomed to playing for the 110,000 people in attendance." Another polka band I vaguely remember was the Walt Grolz Band. Standard hits were Roll Out the Barrells and In Heaven There Is No Beer.If one divides 110,000 by 14 days and then by three beer halls you will quickly see that number of people is probably not an exaggeration as it only amounts to about 2600 persons per beer hall per day. I probably attended in 1973, 74, '75, '76 and '82 or '83. Tim Lutter was a two or three time attendee. Gene Segro made it to one or two. Sil? City L?

It was in such a rural spot in Schuylkill County that in 1982 or '83 I left late at night instead of sleeping in my car and sobering up. I came to a stop sign or a stop light; nature took over and I fell asleep. My date woke me at daylight and I was still sitting there dutifully obeying the stop sign as the sun was coming up. Embarrassed - but proud of my safe driving - I simply put it in gear and drove home.

The other event that became,for me at least, a can't miss ritual was attending Rolling Stones concerts. I've been to about 17 or so. On June 30, 1975 I reported to Musser Park for a day of hosting Lancaster's youth on Musser Park. Often, R.E. would stop by or drive by and honk while doing something outrageous. Ihad seen the Stones in '72 and was bugging Joan Fleckenstein who worked the park with me all day long about how I wouldn't mind going to see them in Philly that night cept I didn't have a car. Darn if she didn't offer to loan me hers. She was a great girl. So I drove to the Spectrum and caught the Stones backed by the Commodores.

A couple of days later it is July 2 and, after thanking Joany profusely, I start ramblin' on about how I'd love to see the Stones that evening in Landover cept I didn't have a car. Darned if she didn't offer again. She was a great girl. So I drove to the Capital Centre and caught the Stones backed up by the Mighty Clouds of Joy.

It is nice to be 24; made it to work all four days and you know I enjoyed a relaxing Fourth on Friday.

Now, the clock was ticking. Good times were still being had by all … Sil & I had our summer jobs, City L was about to enter his 6th year of undergraduate study … but we still were'nt speaking to or paying the landlord and the 328 Club was taking in water and doing some serious listing when one day in early August Sil came bursting into the living room and announced: “EUREKA!” or “That’s one small step for man” or “Jim Shay, come here, I want you” or something to that effect. At least that's how I remember it. C'mon Sil give us your version.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walt Groller was the name of the second band. I spent many of youthful days at the fest, as my father was a vendor of German imports (beer steins, cuckoo clocks, Alpine hats, etc.)

Anonymous said...

I went to this festival only once in 76 or 77, but had such a great time I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was 21. It was like a big celebration of life and happiness. At the end of the day when they were closing the Big Beer hall, we made slides out of the tables and blue stripped tablecloths and we would run and jump on them and slide across 5 or 6 of the tables. We practically destroyed the place but they never said a word and let us continue having fun until we left. I wish I could have went back a few more times before they closed it down.

Blog Archive