The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Culling the Correspondence

I’ve never really been a man of letters but back then I was more engaged in such than I am now both in keeping up with buddies during college years and hopeful love at the time of the birth of the 328. Those letters, while needing to be handled with care let them unilaterally spark long doused flames that are not to be rekindled, do indeed provide some historical anchors, to wit:

09/09/74 … addressed to me at my parents house where I had always lived …I am reminded that my parents were in Ireland … rest assured my last days at my parents house musta been a good time … apparently they left $100 in the cookie jar … I was spoiled … I played a lot of tennis that summer … I was passable (no pun) … I interviewed for a few teaching jobs … one I remember where Ted Dean, former Eagle, was a counselor … moved Jack Kindbom and his first wife into their new apartment … Geoff Renshaw worked at Servo City … and he and others would gather at my parents house on Mondays to watch MNF and play all sorts of games … Elect the President, Decathlon, APBA … Barrels, Whiskey & Rhyme was the spot

09/27 … she was on top of things … addressed to 328 … she “was surprised to hear that you guys decided to get a house together – usually that things like that end up to be all talk” … “I didn’t expect so many to move into one place” … “I hope you don’t party all the time “ … I must of told her the neighbors – i.e. the confederate widow and her gay (but there’s nothing wrong with that) son … I was bartending, thanks for placing the time, at Elmer’s Inn under the tutelage of Carl Frey … I shoulda learned something, alas; I did not …I attended a BTO concert with another example of unrequited love … at least I was trying (Valentine’s Day was 5 months away) … …

10/25 … still substituting but on a permanent assignment … did I have a car? I must of because the assignment was at McCaskey? … she referenced Dan & Tim’s (as they had lived together at 33 N Lime) … and those parties … and do the same people come to 328 …there was another 328 party on 10/18 … she references often young ladies I’ve been dating … I wish

11/06 … she references 328 Club parties … she also references a poem I wrote that summer when she made it clear that her & I weren’t a love thing .. I reacted foolishly, got very drunk, lost a good friend (her future husband) but the poem was sincere …she continues to mention other chicks … I guess I shoulda let her introduce me to someone … although there was no shortage … all schoolboy crushes tho … an I was no schoolboy no more but

12/19 … she mentions my going to Florida (didn’t happen, I went earlier in the year on May 17th but have never been back) … and wishes me a Happy Christmas

These snippets allow me to refresh my memory and paint a picture of life at the 328 in the fall of ’74 … five guys … growing up … some faster than others … united by the bond of being roomies … drinking beer … chasing young ladies … going to sporting events …working … pointing towards 1975

No comments:

Blog Archive