The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Friday, June 13, 2008

The Sign of Four (1890)

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth." – Sherlock Holmes

 

I packed the 340 Club archives away in their box last Saturday and took them out to the vicinity of my car (or placed them in my trunk). I then took Chris home (perhaps, for some reason taking the box out and leaving it on that parking lot; maybe Chris has it. I’ll check.). I then returned to the hotel with Beverly (while there was no reason to take the box out of my car; perhaps I did. However, neither the Parking Authority nor the Hotel’s lost & found’s are aware of it.) The following morning I drove home to Harrisburg and unloaded my car. A few hours later I noticed that the box was not among the items in my home. (Again, perhaps I left it in my parking lot in downtown Harrisburg and some knucklehead took it). Alas, the box and its contents are gone. Lost forever.

 

Unless, we eliminate the other factors. I remember packing it. Grabes saw me pack it. I took it out of the Knights (this is verified by the Knights not having it). I loaded most items in my trunk. The last item I brought out was the tub of artifacts. Then I took Chris home, went to the hotel and went home. I had no need to remove the artifacts from my car – and I did not (this is verified by the Brunswick & Parking Authority). I came home and unpacked. The artifacts were missing.

 

Therefore, once all the other possibilities are eliminated!!! The artifacts never made it to my trunk. I did, as I remember and as Grabes saw, pack the artifacts in the plastic tub and I did take them out to my car. Where I was distracted by the Hound of the Baskerville’s (more accurately JJ’s nice puppy). I placed the tub on the ground and, as I am apt to do, went over to pet the pooch. While encouraging JJ to say hello to Beverly. I slammed the trunk lid and hopped into my car leaving the precious 340 Club artifacts right there on the Knights of Columbus parking lot. I trust they are now in the possession of one Johnny Johnson or young Phil Zangari or some other 340 Clubber. If not, wind and rain have taken their toll and they may be on the way to the Chesapeake Bay.

 

Bottom-line is while it would be interesting, funny and whatnot for the missing artifacts to make a miraculous appearance at the November 2009 reunion and while I don’t believe I’ve any need for them in the interim; there are three overriding issues:

 

  1. it would be nice if those two or three Bonnie Parker photos could be scanned in and uploaded to the blog, and;
  2. of more immediate concern to me at the moment I really could use that plastic tub for several upcoming Negro League baseball exhibits, and;
  3. I could sleep better at night knowing where my archives are for sure

 

So, please return. Thanks. Elementary my dear Watson!

No comments:

Blog Archive