The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Monday, June 9, 2008

My Punishment

I don't know what the plans are for the Virtual 340 Blog but there are probably a lot of things that have been left unsaid. In November of 1983 the house adjacent to Zangari's South,where I had been working since August,1977 became vacant.

The allure of living next door to my workplace and the probability of me being able to get rid of my automobile were too tempting. I made my decision and left the confines of West King Street.
I moved on a weekend,I believe it was a Sunday. Dave Shertzer and the McClain boys helped me move in according to my recollections. This would be the first time I ever lived alone. I remember I left the hallway lights on just in case of bogeymen when I retired that first night.

I have had a history of back problems,muscular in nature not structural. My back has gone out playing hockey,basketball or simply bending over to tie my shoes. Well after a hard day of moving boxes of junk and what little furniture I had we all sat down to watch the Sunday afternoon football games. Adult beverages were of course the drink of choice for me and my "movers". Well I nestled comfortably in a soft chair in less than an erect sitting position. Soon my back began to tense up. After everybody left I retired to my bedroom which was later to become Tee's suite when he joined me at 48 Seymour Street.

After a few hours of uncomfortably trying to sleep, my back began twitching in the most powerful muscle spasms I ever experienced. Daylight was approaching and I somehow managed to crawl down the steps, because every time I tried to stand up a spasm would send me back down to the ground. I finally worked my way to the phone and called Tee. I told him to call an ambulance for me. Telling him that they don't have to put their sirens on because it wasn't a real emergency but I desperately wanted to be put in traction or something to alleviate all the pain I was in.

He made the call and I then "wormed" my way to the front door and unlocked it. Soon the Ambulance Personnel arrived and loaded me on a stretcher. They missed the last step on my porch and I received a jolt when they nearly dropped me. They strapped me onto the side of the ambulance and away we went. They then neglected to support me as we rounded some corners causing me even more pain as my body rolled with the turns. The female doctor on duty in the ER was less than sympathetic. When I told her I had this problem before but not as severe she might as well said the old punch-line, "Well you got it again". In fact I think she did say that. She tried to make me sit on the edge of the bed but the spasms drove me right back down. She then said if I wasn't going to cooperate there was nothing she could do. The nurse on the other hand was very sympathetic and tried to explain to the ER Doc that the pain would not allow me to do as the she ordered. She prescribed some muscle relaxers and sent me home. My dad and my sister, Sybil picked me up. I remember I could only take "Pee-Pee" steps and I was in my stocking feet so my feet became quite wet when I tried to navigate from my Pop's car through the Fall's damp leaves that were in the gutter next to his car. I finally arrived at my new home and slept on the floor for a few days which always cured my chronic back problems.

Of course my recovery was aided by a six pack of Pabst and a gallon jug to relieve myself supplied by Sybil for the next three days. I have no idea what kind of punishment the other residents received when they left West King Street for the last time.


No comments:

Blog Archive