The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Where Are the 340 pets? Champ


In a word dead but that is like saying its 2008 as pets do not have long life spans. They are in our life like angels to provide temporal comfort.


Here is a litany of the 340 Club menagerie:


Champ - I first met Officer Longacre when he stopped me and Neal Mitten when we were in search of food after a long all-nighter on the eve of a Catholic High-Manheim Township scrimmage in August 1973. I ran a stop sign somewhere in the vicinity of the old APBA Game Company on Eastman Avenue. Turns out the Manor Township line must stretch that close to the City and Terry Longacre pulled me over. I forget whether I got a ticket; obviously I remember that I did not get a DUI and Neal and I - after a stop at Duncan Donuts - made it to the scrimmage. A few months later - or pehaps dropping his name saved me from the ticket - Timmy Bucher, Class f '69 LCHS, joined the Township police force. He and Terry got to be friends and when Terry had a dog he couldn't keep; him & Timmy saw that it got to a good home - the 328 Club. At the 328, Champ had a nice back yard to shit in, five fellas to play with, very loving neighbors that never could never quite finish their steak dinners, and a wide set of stairs to scamper up and down. While the officers gave Champ to me; in truth he was as much City L's. Champs favorite things to do at 328 were to eat, to play with Dan around the heating grille, to romp, to lean on people, and to play with his fleas. Champ had a lot of tiny pets and one of the most endearing sites was after the move to 340, perhaps on the day of the move, he, Sil and City L were leaning out of 340 windows laughing as they watched old Harold leave the 328 scratching like a madman. He had the place fumigated a couple of days later.


After we left 328 Champ spent a little time at 340 but he mostly lived at my parents house with his girlfriend Shitdog (aka Candy). I would go out and walk him from time to time but not like City L (aka Tim). Tim remained loyal and loving to Champ for the rest of the dog's life. My parents had Champ put to sleep later in his life when he had pretty much tore his backside up playing with his pet fleas.


Hoppity Hooper - hopefully his (hers?) story will appear later when Sil tells it. Hoppity is pictured above on Sil's bed at 328. Or it might be Dan's bed cuz he took the picture.

Scarlet - ditto for City L. Although I have some Scarlet dtories.

Sylvester - ditto for John & Sue. And some Sylvester stories so if I don't here from Sil, Slick, John or Sue I will fill in the blanks.

No comments:

Blog Archive