The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Thursday, May 8, 2008

The List: 1982

86 I met this young lady at Zembie's in Harrisburg where I used to hold court on baseball trivia throughout the 80s. It was a great bar with the world's 3rd greatest bartender (behind Phil, mt roomie of Zangari South fame) and John the Bartender (also from Harrisburg who used to work the Cornet back in those days). I still have #86' phone number forever preserved in a book of baseball trivia.

87 A spectacular show band, The Gentleman & their Ladies, used to play the Library at Lancaster's Brunswick. #87 was their lead singer and she turned my nose the first night I heard her sing. A few weeks later I followed the act to Harrisburg where she was playing at the Marriott. Later, I went as far as Springfield, MA, to see her perform. I took Randy along on that trip.

88 #34 introduced me to this young lady. She was interesting. She referred to Whites as wickers and blacks as Blickers.

89 Another Harrisburger, pulled her out of the VIP, the greatest pick-up bar ever in Central PA. Later, #89 served the country in Desert Storm. She remains a neighbor of mine and is happily with the same man she was living with when we were a number. I must note that this young lady got more out of me in one day than anyone I have known before or since. If ya know what I mean.

90 As Phil already noted, the Eels were a spectacular hockey team that played together one time, one time only. Not only did "we" perform spectacularly in the rink but from the moment we commandeered the motel sign - changing "Welcome Elks Convention" to "Welcome Eels" - till we left Armstrong County we terrorized the countryside. One bar we went to turned out to be hosting a wedding party - the Pendleton's - and after triumphing in Saturday's contests we were in a festive mood. Well, I blended in nicely with the Pendleton's and pulled #90 away from that party and back to the motel. Me and roomy took turns sleeping in a car (or outside) while the other entertained their respective "dates."

91 Somehow I was spending more time in Harrisburg; six years before I began to work there and 15 years before I moved there. 86, 87, 89 were met in the burg. 62 was from the burg but I pulled her off an AMTRAK in Lancaster. 91was a hot little number from Brooklyn who I met on the dance floor under the pool at the downtown Holiday Inn. She came to the 340 on a couple of occasions.

92 was a rare example of someone who worked with me. She was as crazy as any woman that I have ever been with. She simply hated white folks and particularly white men. There were times when she would hardly speak to me or give me the time of day yet she would come to the third floor with me. No explain lust I suppose.

93 was a friend of my sister and perhaps the last white woman I was ever with

94 Another Harrisburger, another VIP score. A Buddhist upon whose altar I spilt some red wine. We’re still friends.

95 … known to Phil simply as “The Bulimic”. A couple of stories come to mind; one time she enjoyed stimulating me with her oral skills as I drove home from an Anita Ward concert in York. Another time I actually passed her next gentleman caller as I sheepishly snuck down her front steps.

96 see Love Quadrangle, Welcome to the Virtual 340 Club, May 6, 7:44 pm

97 I answered her personal ad in Philadelphia Magazine … she was very well to do and had a beautiful condominium in King-of-Prussia. After experiencing her, I never was able to eat peanut butter or honey the same way.

98 Other than vaguely remembering her … and seeing her name of Phil’s final list … I have no memory of her.

99 One of Randy’s ex’s … another white girl … surely this is the last.

No comments:

Blog Archive