The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Kenny,Kenny,Kenny,Kenny,Kenny

Kenny, Kenny, Kenny, Kenny, Kenny

This was my greeting to Kenny each time we met, said rapidly. I spent a couple of decades of my life with Kenny and although there should be many stories that I should be able to tell, I only remember a few. Kenny always made me laugh and his stories and comments would never bore you. As it was said in the 60’s, if you remember the 60’s, you probably didn’t live the 60’s. For Kenny and I, that also applied to the 70’s, 80’s, and the 90’s.

Teamsters Story

One Saturday morning, as I walked in the door from partying, I get a call from Kenny, extremely paranoid. This was unusual although a slight paranoia was normal whenever one uses the “ lady”. Kenny yells, “Coach, they have me surrounded at my house. They are going to kill me!” After 15 minutes trying to tell Kenny that he was just extremely paranoid and he needed to stop partying (easier said then done, I can assure you), he insisted for me to come. He told me of the story when he was driving truck a day before and as an independent driver he got in an argument with several teamsters at a truck stop. He said he was zoomed up and was telling them how bad their union was, Jimmy Hoffa, and what the teamsters has done to destroy our country. He said after he left, several got on the cb and threaten to kill him. He told me that one tried to push him off the road! Kenny persisted, and begged me to help me; a plead I felt I had to support. He told me to come “packing” and make sure they didn’t see me coming to the house or they would also kill me. Of course, I didn’t believe him but wanted to support him, but just in case, I decided to pack. He told me to park down the street, keep low to ground, and come thru the neighbors yard, following the bushes that separated their houses and then “crawl” from the bushes to his back door. He would be watching for me and told me to promise to do exactly what he asked. He again repeated to bring plenty of heat and to bring a shotgun. As a good friend and knowing that this was a level of paranoid I had not seen from Kenny, I did exactly what he said to do. Imagine, at 10 am on a Sat morning, sneaking down a sidewalk carrying two revolvers, a shotgun, and full ammo, cutting thru the neighbor’s lawn, and almost “crawling”, well bending down, to his back door. I wasn’t sure why but I was becoming paranoid. Perhaps it was that I was thinking what would I tell the neighbor, or trying to tell the police why I was “crawling” on the ground headed to Kenny’s house with full arsenal, not to mention, what if there really was a trucker or two that may be out there trying to threaten Kenny. I remember finally making it to the back door and Kenny open it and said, Coach, how many of “them” did you see out there?” I said “none”! We started partying, well Kenny watch out the window. I laughed at him and told him there was no one out there. He asked me for a gun but I refused to let him have one. After 24 hours of partying, I found myself looking out the windows waiting for the teamsters to kill us………

1 comment:

Phil said...

I recall down at Zangari's South, Kenny would tell us to get away from the windows because "they" were lurking outside.
He said,"Don't you see them ?", in reality,"they" were only trash cans,street lights and telephone poles.

Blog Archive