The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Thursday, May 29, 2008

JULY,4th,'83





This faded archive reads;
Actor being resident/person in control of property. Did have a party w/loud music and loud people. This constituted a noise disturbance which extended more than two property lines.- On complaint/condition observed by Off's. Actor advised prior.





With the 25th Anniversary of this event coming up I will relate what I remember of it. It was obviously July 4th,Independence Day, and the patriotic guys and gals of West King Street decided to celebrate with a party. Kenny "The Gilt" Giltner was up on the roof of the 338 Club, shooting off bottle rockets. One misfired and landed under a passing car but there was no damage. The music and adult beverages were flowing freely.

Apparently some neighbors,probably non-Americans, must have called the police. Some of Lancaster's Finest then appeared at the Club and told us to tone it down. Well of course we did,for a few minutes anyway. The party continued.

The next thing I remember, an employee of Zangari's South's kitchen,named Scott,came up to my bedroom and woke me up. It was about 6:00 AM or whenever the sun rose that day. He said there was a policeman at the door and he wanted to see me. I hastily stumbled out of bed,probably already dressed and went downstairs. The front door was blocked by the Mighty 340 Juke Box hanging out on the stoop,laying on its side with the music blasting full force. I hurdled over it to greet the officer but I could not hear what he was saying due to the music. I clumsily endeavored to find the volume control but to no avail, either the machine didn't function well on its side or my blurry eyes couldn't focus on it so I went back inside and pulled the plug.


The Officer said we had been warned before and now we were being charged with a Noise Ordinance Violation. There was no valid reason to argue with the Juke Box being outside the Club and playing at full throttle. I signed for the citation. Tee I believe was in Pittsburgh that weekend and I could not disagree when he said the fine was my responsibilty since he wasn't there. I think it was $35.

No comments:

Blog Archive