The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Saturday, May 31, 2008

The 340 club

I will say a few words as a 340 club member, not a resident, as to what I remember and thought of the 340 club. It was a place where everyone knows you name, and always glad you came. Damn flashbacks of cheer! Well I did know most everyone’s name but “always glad you came”….well you will have to let the residents answer that one. I don’t know how they coped with little to no privacy 24/7, but for me looking for a place to go, it was the 340. It was previously mentioned that this was the third best nightclub in Lancaster according to some news article. To me and others, it was THE club. A place where we would meet up or party before going out to another club , and it was the place we would go after all those other clubs shutdown. Of course, many of the residents were personal friends so I would also drop by to see what was going on, and drink a few beers. Although there was mention of a few minor scuffles and incidences, I always felt relaxed at the 340. With all the booze and contraband, and idiots coming right off the street to party at the 340, I think the club was remarkably low in incidences. Of course most of the potential fights at the clubs, especially the Village, were instigated by Phil; if only they wouldn’t have been starring at him. Also, the entertainment at the 340 would compete with any club. The best rock and roll juke box in one section of the club, highly competitive ping pong games, which I beat many but hardly any from Phil. More ladies then I could remember going up the steps with Tee, as I assume he was already writing them onto his list, and many where just there for the entertainment. Hockey players talking who they cross checked or fought, Bonnie Park band partying after a jam at the Village, Lancaster finest stopping by to say “hi”, Tee or others, streaking down King street, two room length subs, and on and on. You never knew who, or what to expect; as I said, I was always entertained. A few events that need to be repeated from an earlier story: I will never forget the enjoyment that the crowd and I had when the 340 bear jumped from out the window and always without a scratch. Oh, and the famous July 4th picnics, drinking, partying, and the only club in Lancaster with the famous Kenny’s fireworks shot from the roof. I must confess I miss some of those times and all the idiots that were part of the 340 club and my life.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Does this mean you are moving back to Lancaster from the West Coast when 340, The Third Coming begins ?

Blog Archive