The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Saturday, April 12, 2008

The List: 1981 (Part 2)

I know this topic – The List – is not anything to brag about, nor is it politically correct or polite, nor does it share a lot of commonality with the other aspects of the blog. Consequently, I should not be surprised to have received a complaint this week about the topic and its necessity and/or appropriateness. “Why all the sex?” was the specific complaint. All I can say is I feel the need to document this aspect of me that the 340 elicited. I hope it is not too disrespectful, demeaning or seen as braggadocio; I mean nothing of the kind. I certainly do not mean it to be sexual, lewd, or titillating in any way. It is just a bit of me that I felt the need to include if I’m going to document my experience in the decadent decade on West King Street.

So, without further adieu or apologia, back to The List. The second half of the year continued with a young lady (#77) at the Dutch Inn in Jersey at a street hockey tourney, a pick up (#78) at Zangari South one Sunday evening, less said the better about the next one (#79), the next young lady (#80) and I made sweet music on the banks of the Conestoga near Sunnyside and in her orange bug, her ex (I think and hoped at the time) was 6-5, 330, next was a nice young lady (#81) who I ticked off too early in our all to brief relationship, I met the next young woman (#82) at the Village and took her across the street to the Brunswick rather than the 340, a Fairmont House bar maid (#83) was next, then there was a friend (#84) of the piano keys, the year ended with a little cradle robbery as the girl (#85) might have been as young as 16. She caused one of the few arguments that Phil & I had on King Street. The juke was a little too loud for her tastes and I turned the music down; well, Phil musta been diggin’ the rock n’ roll cause he rather quickly and assertively turned it right back up. I showed restraint and that was the end of the flare up. The young lady and I were a number for a while but, of course, it could not last. The year ended with my having made 18 new friends as well as renewing acquaintances with 12 friends from earlier times. I can’t help but call that year – for me at least – the Summer of Love.

No comments:

Blog Archive