The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Home Sweet Home

I delivered 50 340 Club cards to Phil this afternoon. Please order yours tomorrow or soon. They cost $20, make a nice souvenir in their own right, serve as your all-access pass to the June 7th reunion, entitle you to a souvenir 340 Club button, plus all the beer you care to drink, a munchies buffet, ability to see the 340 Club artifacts, view the PowerPoint, purchase additional (variety) buttons And tee shirts. See Phil and soon. We need the seed funds. It is a $1500+ affair.

My trip to Lancaster was a blast!

First stop the beer distributor of course. I stopped at Kirchner’s Beer Distributor to discuss a renewal of the policy of honoring the 340 Club cards for a $1.00 discount on a case of Pabst. Young Matt and his brother Keith, Andy’s sons, informed me that such policy ran afoul of PLCB laws now and then (i.e. in ’81). However, Matt promised to work with us and perhaps they will figure something out or perhaps become the first business to purchase a $25 ad in the reunion program. Davy Gabriel was working hard and gave me a friendly wave and somewhere in the bowels of their new, sprawling distribution building Mike Kendig was hard at work. It was a nice stop that despite Andy stating that 27 years was beyond his ability to remember made me feel right at home and setup the rest of the visit.

Next up was the Captain himself. As I approached the door I heard Cisco, Phil’s sentinel dog, begin the alert with his deep German Shepherd bark. I gave my knock – tap, pause, tap, tap, tap, tap – that certainly let Phil know who was knocking. It was a nice brief visit that culminated with the dog shoeing me out but lovingly. In between I signed the remaining 340 Club cards as a trustee and one, #1, as a member. I had left a sample card behind at Kirchner’s so I left Phil with 48 to sell. As I alluded to earlier please buy them quickly. Only 150 can be sold per Knights of Columbus capacity.

After Phil it was off to the APBA Game Company but passing through Quaker Hills saw me finding Mr. Kindbom at his mailbox. I grew up with his kids, Kathy, Jack and mostly Larry. In fact it was Larry who introduced me to Ajax Baseball (turned out to be APBA but you know 10 year olds). At APBA I was greeted by Veryl Lincoln, who coincidentally coached Larry in youth baseball, who has worked at the game company for over 40 years. I purchased two card sets (2007 and Set 3 ATOP) for $84 (which woulda cost me about $20 when Larry & I first played) and had a nice brief visit. The game company is only about a half mile from Kirchner’s so I completed my loop driving past the distributorship and back to Harrisburg. It is possible to go home and hope to do it a few more times (after all there are 100 more cards to sell) before the June 7th reunion.

No comments:

Blog Archive