The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Millersville 1978-1979

What a change of pace, moving from the bustling lifestyle of the 340 Club with its six bedroom house, a bunch of room-mates and the traffic of a major artery into a mid-sized city to the quaint borough of Millersville. Here I was in a two bedroom residence with one roomie (R.E.Lichty),whenever he was home, with absolutely nothing nearby that I was accustomed to.
Being in my late twenties I was too old for the college scene and I was never a big fan of the Barn Door so into the Red Rose City I travelled for entertainment, although I probably just went to my usual haunts right after work instead of going home first. My memory escapes me on that.
The 340 Club was just a hop,skip and a jump from Cassidy's and a little more complicated drive from Zangari's South but Millersville created a new "monster". Distance.
Driving was never my forte and mixing it with some "spirits" made it worse. The Millersville police also seemed to have a problem. They followed me home several times. I can't recall any events that happened of note during my stay with R.E. He probably hosted a party or two but he had a different group of friends than me so while I probably attended those,I really didn't feel at ease.
There was a break-in/robbery of some sorts where none of my "stuff" was taken only R.E.'s. I remember the police being involved and talking to me. Overall it was a pretty mundane life-style. In early spring,R.E. reconciled with his wife,Lori, and she moved back in. It was getting uncomfortable, I was ready to move again. My old roomie from the 340, City L., kept calling me to move in with him at one of the apartment complexes. I stalled for a while but I knew another re-location was inevitable. The final straw came when the borough's police followed me home yet again and asked for my drivers license, when they saw the address did not match where I lived they said "You have been living in Millersville,long enough, you need to change your residence".
I told them I was moving and they said,"See that you do" or something along those lines. I called City L. and made plans for the next chapter of my life.

No comments:

Blog Archive