The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Coach of the Year


Don Kuhns aka "Coach" was the mastermind of the Eels of Death hockey team, a story that was previously posted on this blog. Coach earned his nickname early on with the legendary Chestnut Street Hockey team. He has since moved out west to sunny/earthquake prone/wild fire hotbed/mudslide susceptible California but he plans on making the re-union this June. Here is a note from the Coach.

"I am trying to catch up with the blogs before our reunion. I havent had one trivia question right. Was I there at the 340?
Just jotted a few things I think I remember from the Eels weekend:

I remember looking at the largest rink we would play and realized that time management was a key to be able to survive, especially all of the drinking and partying we would do. I asked Kenny if he would be my assistant coach and to keep track of each line on rink. I told Kenny this was important or we would burn out, and also to let me know if he seen anyone tired or hurt. As the first game started, I wondered where he could be. I asked his roomies, but they didn’t know, I searched around our bench, but no Kenny. I then looked across the rink and saw Kenny sitting up on the top bleachers with the only other party team, with a keg and a large joint (about a foot long with red/white and blue papers). I was glad when Woody said he would help me, which he did a great job. After about half of the first period was gone, Kenny came over laughing and said what do you want me to do, Coach? I said “ Your fired”, Of course, knowing how serious this was, he laughed and laughed and went over to sit with Jerry the Eel

Kenny did however save our mascot or who knows the outcome of the weekend. One team took a slash at the jar with Jerry, but Kenny held onto the jar and growled at the other team.

The story that needs to be told was after the victory, and we all got home, Jerry the eel, after serving his mission perfectly, jumped out of container and ended his career. I don’t know the details but Bilski would."

No comments:

Blog Archive