The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Northward Bound

We arrived at Lakewood Park around 2 and spent three hours or so wolfing down beers and bratwurst to give us a solid foundation of fortifications for the trip ahead. This was my 2nd trip to the Bavarian Beer Festival of this summer. Once satisfied, as much as sober drinking would allow; it was off to Scranton to spend the night at Sil’s relatives (the Rowan’s I believe). I hope Sil doesn’t have a memory of me misbehaving at his cousins house … I believe I behaved.

Our second attraction was the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, NY. This would be our first exposure to the rustic life of the camper as we rolled into Cooperstown and immediately pitched a tent on the outskirts of town at a KAO Campground. Let me tell you, Sil wasn’t much of an outdoorsman then (he may or may not be now) but compared to Phil & I he was an Eagle Scout. Somehow the three of us got a tent up. Mostly Sil. We then proceeded in to Mecca to tour the Hall of Fame. To put the time period in perspective this was before such stars of our youth as Ernie Banks, Eddie Mathews, Al Kaline, Willie Mays, Bob Gibson, or Frank Robinson had been inducted. Coincidentally (in retrospect), it was the very year that the greatest player inducted since the first class was inducted - the great Oscar Charleston. Charelston was so good, and his career in the Negro Leagues so long, that he was known as the Black Ty, the Black Tris, compared to the great DiMaggio and finally (when Charlie was now a manager only with an occassional pinch hit appearence) compared to Willie Mays. In truth and without a hint of performance enhancers, Charleston stole more career bases than any other Negro Leaguer while being one of the leading power hitters of the segregated era. After touring the Hall of Fame we hit a few pubs in the lovely village before heading to the campsite.

Next day we headed north, stopping at historic Fort Ticonderoga before moving on to the base camp - Burlington, VT - apparently another campsite. That darn Sil turned out to be a regular Daniel Boone. While in Burlington we attended a screening of Bingo Long & his Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings.

2 comments:

Tee said...

As the reader may guess, my memory (and I assume Sil & Phil's) is bolstered greatly by frequent use of the internet. In a recent e-mail Phil reminded me of a feature of our trip that I had long forgotten and I think his memory - better than mine - was off by 97 miles. Despite his reminding me that we travelled from Burlington to Montreal by ferry I neglected to mention the ferry ride. With my meory now jogged and with the internet's assistance, I know believe that on our way from New York State to Vermont we crossed Lake Champlain on a 12 minute ferry ride to Grand Isle and then drove the short distance to Burlington. This 1400 mile, 8 day trip, was a precursor to many baseball trips that we would do in the 80s and 90s. THe slogan was "it is the trip of a lifetime" and we do it every year. Let it be known that this long forgotten maiden voyage set a high bar.

Sil said...

My memory is that we used Tee's car, a green Mustang, I believe. You guys behaved at my cousins' home, largely because you had passed out on the way from Barnesville, and I basically had to rouse you to get you into the house. I remember touring Fort Ticonderoga before boarding the ferry.

Blog Archive