The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Because he killed his mother last night

“Do you have a student named Tommy Sarbanes?” Sil asked yelling over the transom above the bathroom door. I was in the shower and when I finally stopped serenading myself I answered in the affirmative. “Yes, I believe I have him in detention.” To which Sil deadpanned: “I don’t think he will be in class today.” Now Tommy, an 8th grader, was rather big for his age so I thought perhaps Sil saw him the previous night passing for 21 and drinking at some bar. I was shocked when Sil continued: “Because he killed his mom last night.”

It turned out Sil had just heard the breaking news bulletin on the radio about a Columbia school boy who had killed his mother the night before. Tommy’s father had died just a month prior and the authorities eventually deduced that Tommy had poisoned him prior to blowing his mom’s brains out at point blank range with a shotgun. Obviously, Tommy had a little more problems than my typical student but I did teach an alternative classroom and a couple of my other students didn’t make it to 25 and I had my distributor caps removed from my car when I was visiting one set of parents and one time had a parent teacher conference with a parent who brought a baseball bat to the meeting and we weren’t discussing the National Pastime. It was a rough bunch.

No comments:

Blog Archive