The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Origins

Tricky resigned just about the same time that I was looking for my initial housing outside of the bedroom I was raised in ... after college, I had hitchhiked across the country and back but other than that 70 day trip had not yet drifted far from the nest ... I was a commuter during my four years (yeah, I know ... what was the rush, Getzloff took five or so years and Kenneff -hope the dirt isn't scanning the Blogs - is still working on his baccalaureate) so it was about time ... I scoured the papers and found several nice (meaning five or so bedrooms and some large common areas) possible abodes in the City of Lancaster. One place, on West King Street, stood out, it was big, cavernous, had a little yard, and was conveniently located only three blocks from the town center and near bars, corner stores, and my employment (I was a substitute school teacher for the School District of Lancaster). I sought counsel in my buds regarding sharing room & board and found six others of like mind. High school classmates Dan Joyce & Dick Lichty; Millersville State College buddies Tim Lutter and Tim Getzloff (also a high school friend one year behind me), and two old men Sil Simpson and Geoff Renshaw (actually they, along with Tim Lutter, were one year older than me, Dan & Dick with Tim G being a year younger). All of us (or our proxies) met one night at Geoff's to seal the deal. Geoff wished us luck and Dick was in love and not ready to commit to an obvious zany venture so the other five, after discussing finances, nuances, and the common good, cast lots for room selection rights. Tim Lutter drew #1 and took a 2nd floor suite once removed from the street. I drew #2 and took the room, right in front of him, on King Street. I suspect Dan & Sil were next and not knowing the inefficiencies of the heating system took the two rooms on the 3rd floor. Last, I assume (this is a mix between memory, assumptions and fill in the blanks), Tim Getzloff took the curious undefined space between Timmy L's room and the rear. The bathroom was in the rear meaning all four of us - all but City L/Tim G - had to go down the front stairs and up the back stairs to the bathroom. It was into this house - 328 West King Street - that the Iggle first landed. Before there was a 340 there was a 328 Club. Long live rock.




Phil says the 340 Club was beer and music ... well through the internet we have figured out half of the equation ... now can somebody bring me a beer.

No comments:

Blog Archive