The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Monday, December 17, 2007

Interview with a 340 "Casualty"

Despite all the antics during our decade on W.King Street, only two incidents resulted in any major injuries to the best of my recollection. Our next door neighbor,"Biker Bob" swung a glass beer mug at a fellow partyer, breaking a woman's jaw if memory serves me correct. The particulars of that event are very hazy for me and better left for a future post by someone who has a clearer recall of that night.
The other injury was to George Reed. I had an opportunity to talk to George this morning at the 7th Ward Club.
Phil: Hi George !
George: How's Phil ?
Phil: Great !
Phil: How many times were you at the 340 Club ?
George: Not sure. I think only once.
Phil: Can you describe the sequence of events leading up to the dart incident ?
George: There was a dart game going on in the kitchen.
Phil: Was it a party ?
George: Yea. I ducked behind the fridge waiting for the darts to be thrown before I got another beer.
Phil: Then what happened ?
George: I thought they were done shooting so I stuck my head up and WHAM the last dart stuck in my head.
Phil: Where exactly did the dart hit you ?
George: In my forehead,right between my eyes.
Phil: Was it in pretty deep ?
George: Deep enough. I remember it hurt like hell.
Phil: Who threw it ?
George: My cousin,John Wickersham.
Phil: I can recall you coming into the living room with this dart protruding from your head.
George: John was more upset than me..I wanted to just pull it out.
Phil: I remember we told you not to and urged you to go to the ER.
George: Yea, so John took me to the hospital.
Phil: Which one ?
George: St. Joe's
Phil: What did the ER doctors say ?
George: They laughed.
Phil: What kind of treatment did you receive ?
George: Don't remember..I know I got a tetanus shot.
Phil: Did they X-ray ?
George: Don't remember that either,if they did all they would find would be air (laughing)
Phil: Did you come back to the party ?
George: Of course...Now that I think of it I might have been to the 340 Club a couple of other times.
Phil: Any other recollections of that night ?
George: That was many moons ago. I don't remember.
Phil: Are you considering coming to the re-union. I can assure you there will be no dart boards.
George: I just might.
Phil: Ok,thanks for taking time to chat.
George: Your welcome.








2 comments:

Tee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tee said...

Make that three injuries - I remember a rainy night with a rowdy packed house and someone got mild-mannered Tony Williams upset, perhaps with a racial slur. Tony's calm demeanor hid an explosive temper and the power to back it up. In a mega second the insulter was gone; shepherded away to safety by his friends and the kitchen floor was a crimson red with a mix of the poor bastard's blood, water, and beer. I mean wall to wall red. If my memory is correct it was the night when the Assistant D.A. was among the revelers.

Blog Archive