The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Shape of Things to Come

Precursor

Lest I forget, and I almost did, there was one event that happened, likely in the fall of 1980, which should be noted here. Several of the usual gang of idiots were at the Village Nite Club late one evening enjoying a rock band – perhaps The Bonnie Parker Band or maybe an early Sharks show. In any case, last call was given and Bobbi, our favorite waitress served the last round, and the talk got a little nostalgic and soon drifted to the bizarre and finally to there should be a “340”. Just like the old days, although gratefully the band or management did not make a stage announcement, a group of us, Phil, Randy (I believe), myself and a few others decided to buy six packs and head over to West King as if it were 1977 and we belonged there. While a crazy idea; it wasn’t that crazy in that we knew Aaron Rye was a tenant there in my old room. So, off we went in two or three cars. I suppose in today’s parlance we committed a home invasion. Into the house we went and up the stairs loud and boisterous. We found Aaron in his room and I don’t know what the others thought on the 2nd floor. I think a family lived on 2 and Aaron was kinda like a sub-lease on the third. In any case we partied, talked, drank beer and, in general, had a good time for an hour or so reminiscing about the good old days which had occurred less than three years before.

1 comment:

Phil said...

I don't remember Randy coming along but I do sort of recall Aaron inviting us over. I went with a lady friend and our old neighbors, the DiEugenio's, later embellished a story to include us having carnal knowledge of each other on the hood of her green VW Beetle.
Truth be told, that did not happen although some dents were placed on that hood. We did go into the 340 and found my old bedroom was currently unused by the family living there..We then went up to Aaron's room which was Tee's former living quarters but were discovered by Aaron and chased out.
We ended up in my old bedroom which was without any furniture and consummated this impromtu 340 re-union on the floor.
The owner of the house was furious when he came in right after the act and threw us out. I went out front and drank beer like the "old" days while my friend tried to calm things down inside.
I don't remember much more about that night.

Blog Archive