The 3rd periodic 340 Club Reunion has been postponed indefinitely

Before there was an Animal House there was a 340 Club; before there was a Dean Wormer there was a Harold "the fuck" Martin; before there was John Blutarsky or a Daniel Simpson Day there was Tim Lutter, Sil Simpson, Dan Joyce, Tim Getzloff, Dick Lichty, Jim Shay, Phil Zangari, Chris Joyce, Dave Petkosh, Mitch Herr, Kenny Giltner, Dean Staherski, Randy Brown, John Emswiler, Sue Krimmell Emswiler and myself; before there were any Delta Tau Chi pledge pins, there were 340 Club cards; before Otis Day & the Knights, the 340 Jukebox; before there were Delta Brothers there were the usual gang of idiots that congregated at 328, 340 (twice) and 338 West King Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a decade beginning in August 1974. This blog is dedicated to those idiots and those times. God bless Kenny, Mitch and Chris; may they rest in peace.

















virtual 340 Club members

Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Stranger In The Living Room

It was a summer Saturday, nearly noon. In the aftermath of a frenzied Friday night, a curious sight remained in our living room. A young male was asleep in a chair. No one had any idea of who he was, so I figured that it was time to get rid of him. With help (I believe from Mr. Getzloff) we picked up the chair and carried it out to King Street. When the traffic light gave us a brief opening, we placed the chair in the lane of traffic closer to the club, with the sleeping stranger still in it. 

Unfortunately, just as we placed the chair on the ground, he awakened, thereby ruining a potentially great photo op for the Sunday News. And he actually had the audacity to curse at us. 

To the best of my knowledge, the sleeping stranger never returned to the 340, but the memories of a great story that almost was will live forever.


Sil 

1 comment:

Tee said...

I've told this story to people who simply do not believe the veracity of your story Sil. Pity them; I suppose it is their lack of imagination. It is one of my favorite's. I always wondered why I missed it ... now I know. NOON! I was likely just getting up.

Blog Archive